Active Family Days Out For Summer
The Summer holidays are nearly upon us. Time to enjoy some quality family time, sunshine and fresh air. We've put together some great ideas for family days out to prevent you using computers and televisions as your babysitters, prevent you from boredom (or worse, bored children!) and increase your energy and Vitamin D levels.
It's an old classic UK favourite. The beaches in the UK are more beautiful than we give them credit for; often clean, friendly and with plenty to do nearby. Find your local beach, or another if you fancy a change, and see what they have on offer. Some beaches offer water sports, including pedalos, rowing boats and paddle boarding to keep you active and entertained. There are also lovely beach walks, funfair's and often music festivals to enjoy as part of your visit.
- Sennen Cove, near Land's End, Cornwall
- Sandbanks, Poole, Dorset
- West Wittering, near Chichester, West Sussex
- Camber Sands, near Rye, East Sussex
- Kynance Cove, near Lizard, Cornwall
- Walton-on-the-Naze, near Clacton, Essex
- Woolacombe Bay, North Devon
UK Country Parks have definitely upped their game in the past few years. They are often set in a beautiful surrounding, where you can take your bikes, scooters, or just your trainers and walk around enjoying the beautiful lakes, waterfalls and other stunning landscapes. Not only that, but there are more often than not, play parks to entertain the younger ones, and frequently, obstacle courses scattered around too, making your tour more exciting. If you plan ahead, frequently country parks have family fun days for all to enjoy too, including inflatable days, different trails/hunts and other celebrations. Another bonus is that prices are usually kept low, if not free. Take a picnic and enjoy a fun, affordable outing.
Country Park Recommendations-
- Lepe Country Park, the New Forst, Southern England
- Sherwood Forst Country Park, Nottingham, England
- Lullingstone Country Park, Kent, England
- Lickey Hills Country Park, Birmingham, England
- Bodelwyddan Castle and Park, Denbighshire, North Wales
- Beecraigs Country Park, West Lothian, Scotland
- Mugdock Country Park, Glasgow, Scotland
- Crawfordsburn Country Park, Northern Ireland
- Carnfunnock Country Park, Northern Ireland
- Dare Valley Country Park, Aberdare, South Wales
We now have a fantastic range of theme parks available in our country. From Legoland and CBeebies World at Alton Towers for the kiddies, to Chessington for families and Thorpe Park for the adrenalin-seekers. Theme park days out used to be expensive, but with so much competition, there are often special offers available, keeping it affordable and great fun. You'll also ensure you all remain active throughout the day as you rush from ride to ride.
Theme Park Recommendations-
- Thorpe Park
- Chessington World Of Adventure
- Drayton Manor
- Alton Tower
- Blackpool Pleasure Beach
- Legoland Windsore Resort
- Paultons Park
- Oakwood Theme Park
Family festivals are growing in popularity, as more and more theatres and communities seem to be putting things on for the summer months. Quite often these include music, food stalls, activities including crafts, games and sports. They are extremely entertaining, and nowadays, do seem to be suitable for all ages.
- Camp Bestival
- Green Man
- The Big Festival
- Beautiful Days
- Just So
- Curious Arts Festival
- Larmer Tree
- Deer Shed
Picnic In The Park
Another classic day out: timeless fun. Visit your local parks, feed the ducks, enjoy a picnic, play on the swings and spend time together. You could always arrange to meet other families and arrange a game of football or rounders.
- Padley Gorge, Derbyshire
- Glenkiln Sculpture Park, Dumfries and Galloway.
- Gibside, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
- Rievaulx Abbey, North Yorkshire
- Corfe Castle, Dorset
- Bodmin Moor, Cornwall
- North Pennines
- St Herberts Island Derwentwater, Cumbria
- Somerset House, London
- Formby Beach, Merseyside
- Barafundle Beach, Pembrokshire
Visit The Lake
Water sports at lakes seems to be ever popular at the moment, with activities such as open water swimming, paddle boarding, kayaking, and more extreme sports such as wakeboarding and jet skiing available too. Building water confidence, keeping fit and having fun: what more could you ask for from a local day out.
- Lake District
- Wast Water
- Lake Vymwy
- Loch Lomond
- Coniston Water
- Bassenthwaite Lake
I hope you find this guide useful and you have a summer filled with lots of amazing memories!