Find the fun and burn the fat
Sometimes we need to take a break from our usual workouts, but that doesn’t have to mean ditching exercise altogether. Exercise comes in many forms, and the chances are you already do some form or other. If you don’t, there are fun and enjoyable ways to get some variation in your fitness programme.
Perhaps you used to enjoy ice skating as a kid, fancy going ballroom dancing, or just wish to take a break to the country for some long walks. Every now and again, it’s useful to mix up the type of exercise you are doing, as it keeps your body on its toes and prevents you from getting bored. A break also helps lift our mood and prevents us from losing motivation.
So, if you feel the need to take a break from your usual routine, don’t skip exercise altogether; instead, try one of these activities to burn off those calories:
• Undertaking an hour’s heavy gardening can burn as many calories per hour as playing badminton
• Dancing for one hour may burn more calories than two hours of housework
• Ten-pin bowling burns nearly as many calories as volleyball
• Cooking can burn as many calories as a sedate walk
• Mowing the lawn can burn the same calories per hour as the equivalent time performing jumping jacks
Whatever you do, do something. Sitting down barely burns more calories than sleeping, so make the most of your free time to get active and burn some fat.
You could even combine the activities you pursue. Why not try turning up your favourite music and dancing whilst you do the housework? Instead of doing the ironing, go outside and play with your kids. Even fishing, especially fly fishing, can burn more calories than a slow walk.