McDonalds Chicken Nuggets
Chicken Nuggets Ingredients:
- 400g Free Range Chicken Breast
- Coconut Butter or Oil
Frech Fries Ingredients:
- 3 Potatoes (Maris Piper or Yukon)
- Almond Flour or Coconut Flour
- Coloured Salt (e.g. Himalayan Pink Salt)
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Avocado Oil
- Don't forget the ice!
I found all of these ingredients in Tesco (apart from Almond Flour, which would have been my preferred choice, however, Tesco did stock Coconut Flour).
Avocado oil has an exceptionally high-heat rate, around 520 degrees (higher than most oils).
(1) Begin with the French Fries. Peel the potatoes (my Son does not like the skin on, but if your children do, thenabsolutelyy leave it on for extra goodness!), and slice fairly thin, to then slice again lengthways to make the same shape as McDonalds fries.
(2) Place French Fries into iced water and leave around 15 minutes. In the meantime, you can begin on your chicken nuggets.
(3) In a bowl, add 20g of coconut flour, 3/4 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp onion powder and 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, then mix.
(4) Chop the chicken into chunks approximately the size of a typical chicken nugget (I aimed for a rectangle shape where possible).
(5) In a bowl, mix the flour and seasoning in with the chicken to form a coat.
(6) Add to the chicken, 3 tbsp of avocado oil, and mic thoroughly (but gently0 to ensure an even coat on each nugget.
(7) Place the nuggets on a baking tray, ensuring not to allow them to touch, but do not put in the over yet.
(8) The fries should now be ready to be removed from the ice water, and pat down with paper towel. Much of the excess starch with now be out of the potato.
(9) If you have coconut oil, add 1 tbsp straight to a bowl with the fries. If you have coconut butter, you must melt it before adding it to the fries. Toss the bowl with the fries and the oil to get an even coat, before placing on a grid tray and into a pre-heated oven at around 230C/450F for 20-25 minutes. I ensured the fries did not touch each other and I watched carefully to make sure they did not blacken.
(10) After 10 minutes of the Fries being in the over, now add the Chicken Nuggets to the oven to cook aswell.
(11) After 10-15 minutes, both fries and chicken nuggets will be ready to serve.
A great way to really get the kids swapping McDonald's for home cooked food, is to use the power of the McDonalds marketing for your own good. Next time a friend or colleague goes to McDonald's, ask them to get some extra brown bags, chicken nugget cartons, French fries holders etc, and use them at home for your own food! I know it's a little sneaky, but it's for a good cause!
PS - I had no resistance when I asked for extra packaging. It is a valid request in order to share food out (you can always use unbranded cartons etc. too)